- Education & Policy
- About Us
Summer Wellness Tips! Beat the Heat!
Heat-related illness happens when the body’s temperature control system is overloaded.
- Never leave infants, children, or pets in a parked car, even if the windows are cracked open.
- Dress in loose, lightweight, light-colored clothing.
- Schedule outdoor activities carefully, for morning and evening hours.
- Stay cool with cool showers or baths.
Just a few serious sunburns can increase your risk of skin cancer later in life. Their skin needs protection from the sun’s harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays whenever they’re outdoors.
- Cover up. Clothing that covers your and your child’s skin helps protect against UV rays.
- Use sunscreen with at least SPF (sun protection factor) 15 and UVA (ultraviolet A) and UVB (ultraviolet B) protection every time you go outside.
Protect yourself and your family by preventing bites and diseases, like Zika, West Nile Virus and Lyme Disease, which can be transmitted by insects.
- Use insect repellent.
- Check for ticks
- Watch for flu-like symptoms