- Education & Policy
- About Us
Rights and Responsibilities
Patients have the right to:
- Be treated with respect, consideration and dignity.
- Be provided appropriate privacy.
- Confidentiality of records. Patients are given the opportunity to approve or refuse release of their medical information.
- Clear explanations about their condition, any proposed procedure, any risk of mortality, serious side effects and recuperation problems.
- Clear explanations of their diagnosis, prognosis and method(s) of treatment and alternatives in care and treatment.
- Refuse treatment or any procedure, seek a second opinion within the UHS, or outside the UHS at their own expense.
- Treatment by the UHS provider of their choice, or to change health care providers at the UHS.
- To be informed of fees for service or procedures provided, and to receive a copy of their UHS bill.
- Address any grievance to the Administration of the UHS.
- Expect marketing or advertising regarding the competence and capabilities of UHS that are not misleading.
- UHS will respect any advance directive in which it is informed and to provide information and assistance in the creation of an advance directive.
- A copy of this statement of rights and responsibilities.
Patients have the responsibility to:
- Provide complete and accurate information relating to their health, medications and dietary supplements.
- Cooperate, participate and follow the treatment plan recommended by UHS physicians and other health providers.
- Accept personal responsibility if they refuse treatment.
- Abide by the UHS rules, regulations and policies.
- Accept financial responsibility for services received.
- Respect the rights of other patients and UHS personnel.
- As necessary arrange for personal transport and assistance if required by the medical provider.
- Inform the UHS medical provider of any living will, medical power of attorney or other directive that could affect care.