Skip Navigation
Oklahoma State University

ADHD Protocol

We get many questions regarding students needing medication for Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADD/ADHD), or other learning disabilities in which medications may need to be prescribed. This document describes how University Health Services medical staff can provide safe and appropriate care for a student with these needs.

One option for a student to continue his or her medication for ADD/ADHD at OSU is for the student to present a valid prescription at either the UHS pharmacy or any other retail pharmacy in the area. Because the drugs used for ADD/ADHD are strictly controlled by the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA), there are at times difficulties that are encountered by students in getting their medication while not at home. If you choose to use a prescription from the physician who has been prescribing your medication, Oklahoma law mandates that it must be presented for filling within 30 days of being written. A prescription for these medications cannot be phoned into a pharmacy or be predated; a written, dated prescription is required. In addition, Oklahoma law dictates that these medications be written by a licensed physician and will not accept a nurse practitioner or physician assistant as a substitute.

If a student would like a UHS physician to be responsible for continuing an existing treatment plan, it is important to understand the guidelines adopted by the medical staff of UHS. These have been developed in conjunction with the Office of Student Disability Services and the OSU Counseling Services. These standards include: currency of testing, breadth of testing, and a clear definitive diagnosis consistent with testing results. A comprehensive adult diagnostic evaluation preformed within the previous four (4) years is required. This must include a clinical interview by qualified personnel as well as testing using accepted assessment devices, Without such comprehensive evaluations, the UHS staff cannot continue drug therapy. Possible examples of these tests include: BDEFS, CAARS, CPT-3, PAI, WAIS-IV, etc.

If a student is able to present to UHS with an adult evaluation, a diagnostic statement from the mental health professional who administered the testing, and a recommendation by the evaluator for a prescription as part of the treatment plan, it is likely that we will be able to continue the course of therapy recommended in the evaluation, after an appointment with a UHS provider.

If you have questions about accommodations for learning disabilities or ADD/ADHD, contact:

Student Disability Services
315 Student Union
(405) 744-7116

If you have questions about being tested for ADD/ADHD contact:
Counseling & Counseling Psychology Clinic
111 PIO Building (405) 744-6980