Skip to main content

University Health Services

Open Main MenuClose Main Menu

Employee Assistance Psychologist

University Health Services provides FREE and CONFIDENTIAL initial assessments, short-term counseling, and referral services for benefit eligible employees and their household members via the ComPsych Guidance Resource Employee Assistance Program (EAP). 

We can help with:

  • Difficult relationships
  • Stress
  • Anxiety
  • Depression
  • Setting goals
  • Behavior change
  • Grief and loss
  • Improving emotional well-being

Ready to make an appointment?

Call University Health Services to schedule an appointment with Dr. Tamara Richardson at 405-744-CARE. If you'd like information about additional resources, visit, which has the three ways to contact GuidanceResource 24/7. 


Where do I go for my appointment?

Please check in at the Employee Health Clinic at University Health Services located at 1202 West Farm Road, across the street from Drummond Hall. The Employee Health lobby is near the northwest entrance of the building.



  • What is the purpose of EAP psychological services?

    The purpose of an EAP program is to assist employees in resolving personal or emotional concerns that may be affecting job performance by identifying resources that will improve and/or maintain productivity, healthy functioning, and the emotional well-being of employees.

  • How does EAP psychological services differ from traditional psychotherapy?

    EAP counseling differs from ongoing psychotherapy, largely in that: 1) EAP counseling providers do not usually focus on completely resolving mental health issues. Rather, they aim to identify the concerns, assess severity, and provide coping skills, psychoeducation, and counseling support. 2) They provide short-term counseling for mild to moderate level concerns. When a specialized or higher level of care need is uncovered, they can assist the employee in accessing the appropriate level of care through their health insurance or other means.

  • Who is eligible for OSU EAP psychological services?

    The EAP program includes access for benefit eligible employees and their household dependents at all OSU campuses. OSU defines benefit eligible as a person appointed to work at least a six-month assignment and has an FTE of 0.75 or greater in an eligible staff, faculty, resident-intern, or post-doctoral fellow position. If you are unsure about your classification, you can call the OSU Benefits office at 405-744-5449 to find out.

  • Who is NOT eligible?

    Typically, OSU students, GA’s, TA’s, temporary employees, contracted employees, visiting scholars, retired OSU employees, and OSU Foundation employees are not eligible for EAP psychological Services because they do not fall under the category of a benefit eligible employee. However, if a person in one of these categories is a household dependent of a benefit eligible OSU employee, then they would qualify for EAP psychological services.

  • Why are there EAP psychological service providers on-campus and off-campus?

    While many employees enjoy the convenience of seeing the on-campus EAP psychologist, at times, it may be necessary or preferred for employees to utilize off-campus EAP counseling resources. Reasons might include: conflict of interest with the on-campus provider (e.g., you might work with the provider in another role capacity), you prefer more anonymity from your workplace, you work in a remote county extension office, or your needs may be better served by an EAP provider that has expertise in addressing your particular needs.

  • How do I make an appointment?

    To schedule an appointment with the ON-CAMPUS EAP provider, contact:

    OSU University Health Services Employee Health Clinic

    1. Call 405-744-CARE to speak to a University Health Services office assistant.
    2. Indicate you are seeking “EAP counseling”.
      3. They will discuss appropriateness, provider availability, and determine next steps such as scheduling a phone consultation or setting up an appointment.

    To schedule an appointment with an OFF-CAMPUS EAP provider, contact:


    Com Psych Guidance Resources. A Guidance Resources® Consultant will provide you with a list of potential off-campus EAP providers in your local area. Next, you must contact the off-campus EAP providers to determine appropriateness and provider availability to see you. Inform potential providers that you are seeking “EAP counseling” as the reason for referral.


    Contact a Com Psych Guidance Resources® Consultant in 3 ways:

    1. Call 855-850-2397 to speak to a Guidance Consultant.
    2. Visit Click link for “I am a first-time user”, enter “OKSTATEEAP” as your web ID, create user ID and password.
    3. Download Guidance Resources® Now app for your mobile device.
  • Can an OSU employee make an appointment for their household dependent?

    Yes, if the dependent is under the age of 18 years old. Any person 18 years or older is required to call and schedule the appointment on their own behalf.

  • What if I’m not sure what service is the best option for me?

    If you are unsure which counseling option is best for you, you may contact the on-campus EAP provider or call Com Psych to consult about which option might be best for you.

  • Do EAP services cost anything?

    No. OSU EAP psychological services is a complimentary service to OSU benefit eligible employees and their household dependents.

  • Will my health insurance cover EAP counseling?

    No. Your EAP program benefits are free and separate from your OSU health insurance benefits. If EAP services are insufficient to meet your needs, you may activate OSU health insurance to seek referrals to community providers or activate coverage for a range of other mental health services. You do incur costs associated with health insurance visits.

    For example, one low-cost service offered through your OSU health insurance plan is:


    Virtual mental health visits

    If you are an OSU employee or dependent on the OSU health insurance plan, you have access to virtual visits with MDLIVE®. With virtual visits, you can speak to board-certified MDLIVE® doctors and therapists, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

    Talk to an independently contracted, licensed professional at home, work or many other places. Providers can help you with many non-emergency health issues including anxiety and depression, sleep disorders, addiction and more.

  • Are EAP psychological services confidential?

    Yes. EAP psychological services are confidential. All records and information about services provided to employees by the EAP provider are maintained in the strictest confidence. Exceptions to confidentiality are as follows:

    • If the EAP provider is under court order or subpoena compelling disclosure; or
    • If the EAP provider has reason to believe that a client is a threat of harm to self, or other persons; or
    • If the EAP provider has reason to believe that a child or vulnerable adult has been subject to abuse or neglect.
  • Can my supervisor mandate EAP psychological services?

    No. If you are an OSU employee on a formal Performance Improvement Plan, your supervisor may recommend that you utilize EAP counseling services as a method to help you meet your performance goals. However, participation in EAP counseling is always voluntary. In some cases, the supervisor may request that you provide verification of attendance and voluntary participation to show evidence of progress towards your performance plan goals. In order to release this information, you would have to give written permission that allows your supervisor to receive this information. You maintain the right of refusal or discontinuing the release of communication at any time. 

  • How many sessions may I receive?

    The EAP program benefit is designed to provide short-term psychological services for up to 6 complimentary sessions per year for OSU benefit eligible employees and their household dependents. If it is determined that a higher level of care is needed, referral assistance may be provided.

  • How long do appointments usually last?

    The initial intake appointment is generally 60 to 75 minutes. Please arrive 15 minutes early for your first appointment to complete the new patient paperwork.

    Routine follow-up appointments are typically 45-50 minutes but may be shorter or longer depending on the service need, which will be discussed by you and the provider.

  • Is teletherapy an option?

    Yes. Please note that services delivered by the OSU on campus EAP provider are required by law to take place within the state the provider is licensed, which is Oklahoma. If you are physically located outside of Oklahoma, you understand that teletherapy is not legally permissible and you will notify the provider so that the appointment can be rescheduled and/or referral services can be made.

  • What are the business hours for on-campus EAP psychological services?

    Appointments are scheduled Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Appointments are not available during University closures such as holiday breaks and inclement weather.

  • What if I am experiencing a mental health crisis or emergency?

    The on-campus EAP provider does not offer emergency services. Examples of mental health crises or emergencies might include:

    • Thoughts of seriously harming or killing yourself or another person
    • Hallucinations and psychosis
    • Being in a life-threatening emergency of any kind, including domestic violence
    • Being hung over or under the influence of alcohol or other drugs

    If you are experiencing a mental health emergency, you should seek immediate help. You should contact one of the following resources:

    Call SAM: 1-855-225-2SAM (2726)
  • What services typically require a higher level of care than EAP services can provide?
    • Comprehensive psychological and diagnostic assessment services for concerns related to ADHD, other learning disabilities, developmental disabilities, and neuropsychological functioning
    • Custody evaluations or other legal issues
    • Disability determination evaluations
  • Does the on-campus EAP provider prescribe medication?

    No. If you are interested in medication as part of your treatment plan, it is recommended that you see your primary care physician or a psychiatrist.

  • Can I get free mental health training opportunities?

    Yes. OSU offers several free self-help and training opportunities. Please visit the OSU Department of Wellness Mental Health Resources page at:


Back To Top